Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Take a Break

Today my post will be a little different. Instead of the typical letters between ladies and gentlemen, I'm writing to all of you (and me)-- from me. This has been something that I've been thinking about a lot lately, and I hope I don't offend anyone by writing it.

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

Today I wish to talk about cell phones.

My cell phone is possibly the greatest thing ever. It keeps me in touch with family who lives far away (I just Facetimed with my sister who is in Argentina). The GPS on my phone helped me maneuver through the streets in Northern California just last month. The fact that I can send a text message to everyone in my family, at the same time, and we can all see each other's responses, amazes me. And I, like most girls, have an addiction to Pinterest, which is readily available at the touch of a finger.
Yes, I love cell phones. But I also hate them.

I hate them because too many people hide behind them.
It is true that it is easier to ask someone out through a text because there is less interaction, the person won't see or hear your disappointment if they say no. And they won't see or hear if you are "too" excited that they said yes. You are safe. but why shouldn't they know you are disappointed or excited? Why is it so bad to let someone know "Hey, I kinda think you are awesome and I would like to get to know you better". I mean aren't you flattered when someone shows interest in you? Stop hiding! Be bold! People are more likely to say yes if you ask in person or call anyway....

I hate them because they disconnect you
I know what you're thinking, "How can you possibly think I'm disconnected when I've got Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, and my messages open at the same time? I'm connected with everyone!" And you're right, you are connected with everyone, but how much are you actually investing in these people? And are you taking the time to get to know someone knew at the ward activity, or your friend's game night? Or are you just trying to stay connected to the 1283 Facebook friends you have?

My friend Lindsey* spent her first semester of college at BYU-Idaho, and she hated it. She complained that she barely made any new friends and there was no one to date. One day, when people from her ward were at her apartment she mentioned how she wasn't making a lot of friends like she expected to in college, and one of the guys there said "Well Lindsey, you sit here on your phone the whole time people are at your apartment, do you ever try to make friends?" From that day forward she made an attempt to meet new people, and she started loving college. And I'll have you know, she ended up meeting someone and they have been happily married for 1 1/2 years.

I hate them because people use them to "bond"
Every day at work my coworkers and I sit down and eat lunch together, and then we all pull our phones out and the conversations soon go like this:

"Look at this cute skirt I'm going to make. I found it on Pinterest!"
"Did you see what Jacob posted on Facebook? Can you believe it?"
"I saw the funniest YouTube video yesterday, you all have to watch this!"

Yes, we are bonding. But the bonding is kind of superficial. And I get that we are just coworkers so we don't need to be on a super personal level (although sometimes we are), but I see this happen at church activities, and when everyone is hanging out at a friends house. This isn't really a way to meet and truly get to know people that you could potentially date.

Now with all that being said, I have to say There is nothing wrong with Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube, but I think we could all benefit from using them a little less in our lives. Especially me. So this week I would like to issue a challenge. When you are in a place to socialize keep your phone in your pocket or purse. Try to talk to people without using your phone. See how many new people you can meet this week. Or how many new things you can learn about someone you already know.

Love,
Colleen

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I totally agree with you. Especially in the dating situation...such a turn off when guys talk to you more via text or ask you out only on text or facebook instead of face to face. Man up. Haha :)I also love that you sad that lots of people who complain about lacking friends or social opportunities are actually ignoring them in favor of spending time online/on phones..so true! If you want a social life, go out and get one. I'm too addicted to my phone, I'm so taking your challenge. I could do a whole lot less with my cell phone and be a whole lot happier. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete